Monday, March 18, 2013

Poop!

Poop.

My new dog, a 9 pound cairn terrier/yorkie mix, is not housebroken. After I got her, I waited for her to poop. I wanted to get her outside before she actually did it, so that I could take her out and start training her to poop outside. She waited, too. She didn't poop for a day and a half! Then, while I was getting ready for church Sunday morning, she finally pooped.

And then she ate it.

I walked back into my bedroom after doing my makeup to find my little lady chomping down on her own doo-doo. I scolded her, and took away the poop. Then I ran a google search. Apparently, it's pretty common for dogs to eat poop: be it their own or someone else's, they just seem to like eating poop.

So gross.

On another note, let me tell you, this new dog is already a better fit for me than the last one. She gets along with the other dog in our house, and she already walks beside me, not pulling on the lead and walking directly in front of me. She likes strangers, because they pet her. She doesn't bark.

She is so little that she can't jump up on my bed. So, she sleeps under my bed or on her doggie bed. She seems to really like her pillow.

She has a lot of work to do, but I feel confident that we can work together and she will be a good dog. I am pretty happy about that!

I am working on thinking of a name for her. Here is my list of names I have thought of and am considering:

  • Pookie
  • Kiki
  • Mag Light
  • Bagel
  • Arrow
  • Virginia Woolf (Woolf for short)
Which name do you like best?

4 comments:

  1. We just recently got a dog of our own and although I loved the exotic "Bhodi" or the cheeky "Farley", my husband put his foot down and called him "Jack". His philosophy? You want a strong name that you won't feel embarrassed screaming out loud in public. So my vote for your pup is "Woolf". :)

    www.myclosetcatalogue.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a fun read...you have great flow in your story telling. Not sure about the name...Arrow sticks out the most. She sounds like a good little dog and I am sure will bring you a lot of happiness. Jackie http://familytrove.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is good advice, actually! I can't imagine myself yelling "Kiki!" in public.... so that eliminates a few choices.

    Thank you for your compliment, Jackie. That means a lot to me! You are a good story teller, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Generally dogs eat their own poop to "clean it up". She likely knew she shouldn't be pooping in the house and didn't want to disappoint you, so she was hiding evidence. However, the main reason I've found in my many years of raising and training dogs is that their food is not being fully digested and still smells like food when it comes out the other end. Eukanuba and Iams dog foods (same company, mind you) have ALWAYS turned a dog into a poop-eater in my experience. If you sprinkle meat tenderizer powder on her food, she will stop eating the resulting poo. The other option is to switch foods. California Natural and Wellness are excellent brands.

    As for a name - Virginia Woolf, but use Ginny or Virgie or something for short.

    ReplyDelete