Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Nostalgic Acrostic

Here is an acrostic I wrote as a model for my creative writing class today:

Barnhart

Behind the house,
A swing set dances:
Revolving with the rhythm of children's legs
Never caring that the day is closing,
Here now, but gone tomorrow.
Are they going to
Realize before it ends
That childhood is golden?


And here's one that I wrote as an example before class started:

Heidi
Hey man, what's your problem?
Everyone is asking.
If you want to change your life,
Do it!
I'm serious!

4 comments:

  1. Both of these poems carry a strong voice. The acrostic form disappears with the word choices. What age group are you modeling to?
    My favorite line is "revolving to the rhythm of children's legs."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Margaret...the acrostic form disappears with the word choices. This is really fun to read. I bet your students came up with some great ones too. Jackie http://familytrove.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Acrostics are cool! When kids do them, they usually start each line anew, which accentuates the acrostic bit; flowing through sentences is what makes your acrostic unobtrusive. Nice work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks!

    I teach 7th-9th graders. They did a great job with their acrostics. I love teaching poetry!

    ReplyDelete