Saturday, January 1, 2011

It's the New Year, Step In Time!

re·solve
1.to come to a definite or earnest decision about; determine (to do something): I have resolved that I shall live to the full.
2.to separate into constituent or elementary parts; break up; cause or disintegrate (usually fol. by into ).
5.to reduce by mental analysis (often fol. by into ).
6.to settle, determine, or state formally in a vote or resolution, as of a deliberative assembly.

I love defining words. We refer to life as "chaptered," and chapters are composed of paragraphs, which are constituted of sentences, which are made of words. Ergo, understand words = understand life.

Resolve. A resolution is made by one who has resolved: and isn't it interesting how decisions and reductions are related in these definitions? As decisions are made, possibilities are eliminated. When you chose to go to a certain school, the possible other choices you had before resolving upon that decision no longer exist. When you chose X, you no longer will possibly chose Y or Z. Resolve. Reduce.

Life is no more than a series of resolutions: conscious or not, life is reduced until all options are up. That is when we die. What is to be done with the finite time we have on the Earth?

In these bodies we live, in these bodies we die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life.
(Mumford and Sons, Awake My Soul)

Oftentimes, people make new-year's (is it a resolution owned by the new year (new year's) or a resolution made for new years to come (new years)? I don't know) resolutions: highly self-aware goals to be accomplished in the new year. It's rather postmodern, this self-awareness. I could talk about Lacanian mirrors right now, but I won't. A lot, I've discovered, have to do with health: I resolve to go on this diet, or I resolve to run a marathon this year, or I resolve to become a vegetarian. My mother is not eating candy this year (I'm doing it with her. I didn't think it would be that big of a deal until I realized that chocolate truffles are candy). We resolve to eat no candy.

What we resolve upon is performative. Resolutions design the character of a man. Who are you? What have you resolved upon? How have you simplified life: funneling it into chapters, paragraphs, sentences, words?

These are my words.

1 comment:

  1. I'm still working on that simplifying idea...still pondering on where and what needs simplified! One that that will never be reduced from my life though is my love for you sweet Heidi and all your siblings and that buddy of mine you all call daddy!

    ReplyDelete