Monday, February 25, 2013

Silly Students, Personal Lives are for .... Not Teachers!

I try to be very professional with my students. That doesn't stop them from asking the most personal kind of questions.

Also, they say really funny things sometimes, and I thought that I would just share a little bit with you:

Student: Ms B., how old are you?
Me: I'm 47.
Student: No way!
Me: Yes way!
Student: But.... you look like you're in your 20's!
Me: Oh stop! I'm blushing!
Student: Oh my gosh, you're older than my mom!

Student: Ms B., why are you not married?
Me: Because I'm very, very picky. Also, I'm extremely young.
Student: No, really!
Me: We're not going to talk about this.
Student: Why?
Me: Because it isn't professional.
Student: But.... I just don't get it. It's not like you're ugly or anything.

Student 1: How do you spell essay?
Student 2: That's a dumb question. It's S-A.

Student1: One direction is the best band EVER!
Student 2: I know! What did anyone ever listen to before them? They are the BEST!
Me: Have you ever heard of the Beatles?
Student 1: Yes, I have.
Me: Well, they are generally considered the "best band ever," just saying.
Student: They are nothing compared to One Direction. One Direction is definitely better.
Me: There are a lot of bands like One Direction that have come and gone, but the Beatles have remained present in our social consciousness for generations. So, I really don't think you're right.
Student: Name even one band like that.
Me: Well how about N'Sync? Have you ever heard of them?
Student: No.
Me: 98 degrees?
Student: No!
Me: Savage Garden?
Student: Wha...?
Me: Hansen?
Student: Ms B., I think you are making these bands up.
Me: No, I am not. All of these bands . . . were just like One Direction. And just like all of these bands, the next generation will have no idea who they are or what songs they did.
Student: NOOOOOOOOOOO! That's IMPOSSIBLE!!

Me: Boys and girls, please don't call me "Mrs." B. Mrs. B. is my mother.
Student1: So, what should we call you?
Me: Ms B.
Student2: Wait. You're not married?
Student3: How is that possible?
Me: I'm very young, you know.
Student3: But you're pretty!
Student 4 (to student 3, vehemently): Stop it! Mrs B. just hasn't met the right man yet. Someday, she will meet him, and he will be awesome, and he will love her sooooo much, and then they will get married and live happily ever after! So just give her a break!
Me: I'm so glad you have my life planned out for me, Student4.
Student4: No problem, Mrs. B.

Student 1: What is 40 plus 30?
Student 2: It's 70. You should know that by now. We're 7th graders, not kindergartners.

Me: Class! I have an exciting announcement to make!
Student1: You're pregnant!
Student2: You're engaged!
Student3: You're married!
Student4: You got a puppy!
Student5: Just let her talk, guys.
Me: We're going to memorize poems!
Student6: That's not as exciting as you made it sound.

3 comments:

  1. That's so funny! I love kids and their comments. You must be a great teacher and I'm pretty sure your students must love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bahaha. Oh Heidi, I'm pretty sure you have the most entertaining students ever. Don't worry...we'll prove them wrong about One Direction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love it! What can I say more! I love kids! They saythe darnedest things! Im glad student 4 has your back!

    ReplyDelete