Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Life Enrichment vs Life Sustaining

I have been thinking lately about what makes life worth living. Here is a short list:

  1. Ice cream. Any time, any where.
  2. Visiting the zoo.
  3. Watching a double feature at the drive-in movie theater with my friends, and making jokes that they laugh at, even though I'm not that funny, but feeling like Tina Fey because they laughed a LOT.
  4. Going for a long run or bike ride and feeling like I'm not running, but flying.
  5. Donuts at Grandma's house.
  6. Stopping at Little America for 50 cent cones after a long drive through Nebraska
  7. Walking through Mammoth Cave in Kentucky with my Dad.
  8. Listening to Shakira sing "Waka Waka" and convincing myself that she's talking to me, personally, and that the whole thing has nothing to do with soccer, or Africa, but everything to do with my life lately (Or as John Green would write it, My Life Lately).
  9. Reading a book by John Green, and realizing that even though he chose to be a writer instead of a minister, he actually is a minister, not a writer.
  10. Reciting "The Soldier" by  Rupert Brooke at work and replacing the word "England" for "Reptiland."
  11. Singing along to "Hotel California" with my sisters and brothers as I drive them somewhere, and realizing that my brothers and sisters are more awesome than I ever gave them credit for, because they already know all the lyrics.
  12. Watching "Little Women" and crying EVERY TIME when Beth dies.
  13. Finishing a large drawing of the solar system, and feeling a small portion of what God must have felt when he created the real solar system.
  14. Selling the book Verdi to a young mother who hasn't read it yet.
  15. Discovering that there is a new Avatar, and all of the first book so far is available on nick.com, and watching the first 3 episodes with my sisters!
I don't need to do any of these things. They are not requisite to survival. The same is true of many things: in fact, most of the things that make life worth living, I find, are not the things that make life possible to live.

1 comment:

  1. You are a beautiful writer:) Those things do make life worth living.

    ReplyDelete