Monday, July 11, 2011

Sense and Sensibility

The more I read, the more disenchanting the "classic" authors are. I mean, who ever said that Austin was awesome?

Sure, she's funny. Sure, her characters are interesting, and the plots are intriguing. But honestly? She's mean.

MEAN. As in, cruel-hearted and condescending. She's a snobby gossip who can't stand the thought of a world peopled by equal creatures, all deserving praise, happiness, and approval.

Sure, blame it on her culture if you will, because yes, I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. I'm acutely aware of the fact that the influence of my own, American culture has something to do with my bias against her works. I guess I bought in to the "American Dream."

I just don't think that you can chalk culture up to the extreme preclusion of simple kindness. Really, I don't.

Up next: Holden Caulfield.

No comments:

Post a Comment