Friday, March 12, 2010

The White Balloon

I watched this movie the other night at the international cinema: "The White Balloon."

Well, it's an Iranian film, and it's not American at all, that's for sure. When the movie was over and everyone was leaving, I heard a lot of people saying things like "That movie was so dumb," and "there was no point!" and "nothing happened!"

Which are all sort of true.

But it wasn't a bad movie, it just was made to a different aesthetic.

It wasn't my favorite Iranian movie, that being said. But it was interesting, at least. It sort of was a snap shot of a little girl, 7 years old, who wanted a goldfish from the market to celebrate the new year, but her Mom told her that one from their pond was just fine, and just the same. She thought the ones from the market were prettier, and chubbier. She finally convinced her brother to persuade their mother to give them the money to go buy this fish, but she kept on losing her money along the way.

She was just a bratty little kid, but I really empathized with her. I felt a connection with her- what was the last American movie that I felt that with?

No comments:

Post a Comment